Wednesday 22 May 2013

SALAMANDRA SALAMANDRA GIGLIOLII - CALABRIAN FIRE SALAMANDER

Another one of my favourite due to the deep orange colour and large thickset bodies.

These are notoriously difficult to keep inside a building and develop skin problems as do the S.s.bernardezi group.

Oustide is the only way to keep this though I would be tempted to do an experiment with an electric fan on them indoors?!





Note on the underside of this young gigliolii how patches of the black colour are discolouring and these would eventually turn yellow while more discolouring would appear and follow suit.

The older they get the more orange takes over from the black and some old specimens that have managed to avoid predation can be completely orang though some can retain a black spot on the back of the head.
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi, are you from Switzerland? I keep too S.s.gigliolii and every year I reproduce....last year I have raised about 200 juveniles...

    ReplyDelete