Wednesday 1 January 2014

NEW ADDITIONS OF RUBY EYED TREE FROGS - LEPTOPELIS ULUGURUENSIS

I have had some new additions to my extremely short list of amphibians in my collection.

Now there were a bit of a surprise but before I tell you why I will post in some photographs. I will actually state that some people that know me will see the genus name and say 'Well I don't believe it?!' but there is a perfectly good explanation.

They are gorgeous, lol....you will need to wait for better pictures as I have been inundated and these giuys needed to be settled in too.

Thers is also a bloody funny story to that...

Leptopelis uluguruensis or Ruby Eyed Tree Frogs



The Leptopelis cage is one on right in picture, Phalaenopsis species Orchids in one on left...

Yes some may be surprised I bouth some Leptopelis but I had never seen this tyope before. Without bothering to look up the names as I cannot remember the only two I ever saw were brownish gold and a green and brownish gold marbled. Nice as they were I never kept them as there were far more interesting things out there I wanted.

I initially thouight these were maybe Boophis or even Heleophryne and was surprised when a quick Google search reveled them instead to belong to the Cameroon Bug Eye Tree Frogs, yes I know a terrible name, lol.

There is more work to be done as this cage has four cages built into it. Need to change lighting a little too and need to get some glass bu the damn glass man is obviously making far too much cash. I went there few days back and he is closed from the 21st December until the 6th January?! Damn it!!


One night I am sitting on my bed upstairs likely typping out a blog post for my corruption blog when I hear a thump downstairs. I raise me head and listen intently but hear no more sounds. It is odd as it is extremely quiet here at all times unless there is a raging storn goin on. It is late and I have been unable to get to sleep and I hear another thump and then a bang. It is now around 2.30am and I decide to go down and investigate.

I have no lights on and am looking around and everything seems normal. Due to the huge number of symptoms that make up my health condition the kitchen is in a messy mode. Still on the floor behind my oild heatr in the dark I see a shape and think 'why does that figure look like a Tree-Frog, realise immediately rach down and grab it! I glance over the their cage and realise thay have opened it and out loud I say 'OH WHAT THE FECK!! YOU IDIOT MARTIN!!' I put the Tree-Frog back in its cage and them woried about the other three and I see now they have all got out! I go to run upsi=stairs to get a torch as putting the light on will only make then freeze and sit still. AS I run up the stors about half way up and I see one sitting on a step!!

I thin oh that is good but I still have another two to go. I then walk up the stairs after attempting to run and hurting my back come back down and before even switching it on I spot another frog like figure in the far corner of my kitched sitting on my wok?! Good job for him I was not an oreintal that likes to eat everything!! Lol.

The very last one took awhile to find but find him I did. I have a computer table which is not much good to me but has a slide out keyboard rest. This was in its IN position and yet I managed to spot that sitting next to my new printer ink cartridges was another tell-tale frog outline! Without even checking my right hand fired into the gap between grey surfaces and I felt that familiar squidgy skin I know so well.

Damn lucky I was and had I falled asleep I my not have found them.

I have now placed rubber wedges between the doors and must be more careful in future. Especially as these came all the way from Holland and in a few weeks time there will be more things to add to my list and in the Spring of 2014 many more things will happen.

Well I DO HAVE a passport application form sitting here!! LMAO!

No comments:

Post a Comment