Tuesday 15 December 2015

BUILDING A TERRARIUM FOR SALAMANDERS (Part 2 of 3)

Still bored stiff ... still waiting for something to happen that keeps failing to occur.

Wonder if I should just call it? Time is running out but that is still counted in weeks, just about, lol. I have been thinking about this weekend a great deal. Maybe I sense something, perhaps?

Well I was at it again due to the boredom.

Doing this really did me some damage and after I id this second piece I had a pain in my left leg but till went out into the mud and wet to get the last bits!

So I place a layer of bark chips on the bottom and then cover that with mos peat. I then put a third layer and mix that up with peat surface areas with leaf litter, oak and beech, and bark chip surface areas.

The pond and bog to the right, made using two different size Stewart humidity trays, without drain holes of course. The pond now has a rock and a small piece of cork so insects can climb out. This way they do not all die in the water fouling it up.

More moss covered wood was found and placed within it.

I add some more bits that will more or less finish it off, short of a couple specific types of plant, in the third part. Unfortunately I had everything there ready to film and my camera battery died. Odd as I was sure it was full a few days beforehand?

So the third film I am just going to show the whole thing before zooming in and panning round to show the last bits I added.

If I manage to get the other couple plant types I will do another short video of them, maybe me adding them in if I remember?

The Pyrenean Fire Salamanders are what live in this terrarium which is 100cm x 46cm and probably about 50cm tall. Hmm ... about 52cm to be more accurate, lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment