Saturday 20 July 2013

GLOWLIGHT DANIO - DANIO CHOPRAE

Just a little video of some Glowlight Danios in a friends store.

Now these were known to me under the Latin name or Danio choprae but I have also recently seen people list it as Brachydanio choprae so not really sure which of the two genus names is the correct one.

From a taxonomical viewpoint it is a hard one to call for me. It certainly IS different from the Zebra and Leopard Danios but may more like them than other members of the Danio genus?!

It has been a long time since I really looked at and of the names of this Danio group and I know there are a couple of larger ones too. The spotty and stripey Danios are all very closely related and as far as I know I have seen two spotty ones, one with both stripes and spots. Along with these there is some fiery finned variety called Danio kithyit if that is a proper name and not some temporary one that has been assigned be a breeding farm in Singapore?! All these are closely related and more so to each other than Danio choprae is to any of them.

Also some Danio species hybridize and for me this is a very strong reason for two separate species to belong to the same family.

I believe this of amphibians also and used to think that for reptiles but of late some really bizarre things have been happening in the reptile world and I find it very odd. When pointed out to others they then do find it odd too. So I cannot apply this rule to reptiles anymore and bizarrely it is only within SNAKES taht this applies, lol.

More next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment