Thursday 4 October 2012

Favourite Reptiles

Rught you will have to bare with me here as many things have changed as regards scientific names and sometimes this is for the better, and often LONG overdue, and sometimes this is for the worst. T give case examples of each I will state two species one belong to Newts of Europe, Tritiurus, and the other a snake found in New Guinea known as the Green Tree Python and at last look was called Morelia viridis but was previous and MORE CORRECTLY known as Chondropythin viridis and no doubt STILL referred to as Chondros today by a great many admirers, breeders and hobbysists around the world.

Morelia INDEED!

So my list and we we start off with the one I have already mentioned...

Chondropython viridis or Green Tree Python as opposed to the Emerald Tree Boa of South America anc curiously similar but not as vivid in my opinion and an example or parallel evolution.

The Scarlet Kingsnake, was known as Lampropeltis triangulum (I think it used to be called) elapsoides and was never really a Kingsnake of any kind and very small in size but striking in colour.

Ibiza Wall Lizards, Podarcis pityuensis..

Calotes genus, Blood Dragons I thnk they are sometimes known as.

Phelsuma cepaediana, Peacock Day Gecko and again guessing with my memory banks on common name!

The Flying Geckos whos scientific name escapes me right now and I am not feeling too great lol.

Jewelled Geckos of Egypt and again latin escapes me.

The Indigo Snakes of the Drymarchon genus, like melanus, couperi and corais.

Wonder geckos of the Teratoscincus genus and keyserlingii in particular.

Brazilian Rainbow Boa and now I am losing it as I cannot remember the scientific name on that I deserve to be shot?!?! LMAO.

The Eyed Lizard of Europe, Lacerta lepida.

The Green Lizard of Europe, Lacerta viridis (viridis means green which I think melanurus may do too).

Amphisbaenia and despite its name is not an amphibian and despite its lack of legs is not a snake! Otherwise known as Worm Lizards.

Painted Geckos and canot remember latin but look like smaller Phelsuma, or Day Geckos, but with a blue body and a yellow head which reminds me...

Rainbow Agama, Agama Agama and there is a dreaful echo?!

Also how could I forget a personal favourite with absolute oddles of character, tame as they come and best of all they are VEGGIES!!!!

Euromastyx ornata, maliensis and a few others besides!! Often called Spiny Tailed Lizards.

These are what i will include for now but I have no doubt I have forgotten a fair few and am under the weather while typing this so will edit it at some point. So anythig below this lie will be additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment