Monday 8 October 2012

First time in years I have a POND!!

Yes i have acquired a Pond!

LOL, cannot quite get over it myself but a bit of luck and pure chance that I managed to get a free 50 gallon drum given to me?!

It had some bored holes and a couple of brass pipes coming out the bottom and was told it was used as a water filter but this mattered not!!

I sealed up the holes I did not need, used silicone adhesive to  attach a clear plastic cap onto one of the lower brass pipes, idea being I may fit a light onto it so can watch at night and light up the bottom, and the other I fitted a brass tap!

This would also make emptying it out for refilling a great deal easier to boot, good for me!

At a hole at the top I fitted a pipe to which I will attach a flexible and long pipe to channel any overflowing rain water into buckets to use on my aquarium and my Orchids! COOL!!!!

I also have a lid I can cut into a lip so that any amphibians I want to put in cannot climb out!!

I already mentioned rain water and this is because I will place it in one corner of my garden in front of the rain divert-er so it will fill with rain water and not need to be filled with tap water!

I have spent a few days gluing the parts that I need to and tomorrow it will be finished and then I can place it where I want it, move my garden table to one side and Bob's your uncle?! Need to make sure it is level too and I will remove the water from the current 80 litre plastic bin I am using and then I can use this for a ... err BIN!! LOL.

This has sat in the corner of the garden being used to store tap water so I can water my Japanese Maples and other garden plants in the event I am in a rush and do not have time to drag the water hose through the house!

Now is the matter of what to place inside the large pond?

Once filled i will throw a Water Lily in their and there are some toads about I am trying to get my hands on ... Italian Yellow Bellied Toads (well Orange really) Bombina (variegata) Pachypus.

Also would be good to get hold of some Italian Alpine Newts too, Messotrion, or umm Lissotriton lol, alpestris apuanus.

Whether I can acquire these or not I do not know but hopefully and if not something else of interest may pop up.

Maybe fish but I cannot think of anything I would want to keep in it as you would not get anything you could really appreciate in a container of that type, except Gold Rice Fish of Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows or err something Gold when I am not really a big fan of.

Koi Carp simply get too big.


No comments:

Post a Comment